Dear Sky Valley Residents,
HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO YOU AND YOUR FAMILY!
- SVENA stands for Skykomish Valley Environmental & Economic Alliance. Our mission is to protect an environmentally and economically sustainable future of the Skykomish River Valley. We are working towards a safer, cleaner, healthier and more beautiful place to live, work and visit. You can find more information at our website svena.org.
- SVENA is lobbying for expansion of famous and popular Wallace Falls State Park, and for conservation and restoration of area around the Park. If you are into
outdoor recreation and/or are a part of tourism and recreation industry of Skykomish River Valley, Snohomish County and Washington State, please send your short message of support for expansion of Morning Star Natural Resource Conservation Area (NRCA) and conservation and restoration of the area around Wallace Falls State Park (WFSP) to Exchanges@dnr.wa.gov by December 14, 2016.
> Morning Star Trust Land Transfer and Maps 11-2016
> Morning Star Natural Resource Conservation Area (NRCA)
> Wallace Falls State Park (WFSP)
- DNR is kicking-off a trail planning process for the 36,037-acre Morning StarConservation Area in Snohomish County. Please join DNR for an open house style public meeting 6:30 – 8 p.m. Thursday, December 15, 2016 at the Cavelero Mid High School cafeteria in Lake Stevens. DNR staff will begin with a 6:30 p.m. presentation, followed by opportunities for public comment on conservation and recreation topics.
> Morning Start Tail Plan Fact Sheet 12-2016
> More info for Morning Star Trails and Public Survey
> DNR and Morning Star Trails on Facebook
> DNR and Morning Star Trails On Twitter
- Congratulations to SVENA’s endorsed candidate Hilary Franz on winning the election for the position of Washington State Commissioner of Public Lands.
- Holiday special deal for SVENA membership 2017: $20 for your whole family.
Spend your money wisely this holiday season and support our mission of a safer, cleaner, healthier, more beautiful and economically sustainable valley. Buy one SVENA family membership for $20 and include as many family members as you would like. Individual membership is $10.
Pay by check or PayPal. Write your check to SVENA and send it to 34825 Sultan Startup Rd. Sultan, WA 98294. Send your payment by PayPal, choose an option “Pay Family and Friends” to SVENAofSky@gmail.com. Please let us know number of family members you would like to include for your family membership. Please support SVENA by donating.
- SVENA became a member of The Big Tent Outdoor Recreation Coalition. The mission of the Big Tent is to raise awareness for the importance of the outdoor recreation sector to Washington State. Working in close collaboration with elected officials, opinion leaders, and community leaders in Washington State, with local governments, and with the business community and the public, the Big Tent will focus on raising the profile of outdoor recreation and the substantial economic, social, and health benefits that come with doing so.
The Big Tent will work to ensure adequate funding and access are in place to support the growing role of outdoor recreation, and to reduce or eliminate barriers that limit the right of Washington citizens, businesses, and visitors to enjoy outdoor recreation amenities.
Economic Analysis, Outdoor Recreation Fact Sheet
Economic Contribution of Outdoor Recreation by County
- SVENA has partnered with a local Sultan branch of Volunteers of America (VOA), Western Washington to promote one of its programs. Please support the noble cause and help local children in need:
VOA BackPack Program: Sultan School District has a total enrollment of 2,027 students with 1,018 (50.2%) qualifying for free or reduced lunch. The VOA Sultan Backpack program has a goal of providing 40 weekly backpacks of nutritious food that is sent home on weekends with students who may not get enough to eat when not in school. Donate online. Please make sure to click on “ Direct My Gift To” – choose “Sultan Food Bank” in the drop down menu, and type “BackPack Program” in the “Comments” icon.
- 11-2016 FPAs (Forest Practice Applications). More info for FPAs. Please become a watchdog of your neighborhood for logging and toxic chemical spraying that can affect your and your family’s health, safety, and value of your property and business. More info is in three simple steps for becoming an FPA reviewer.
- We believe that SVENA is working on bringing a substantial value and benefits to the Valley. Please visit SVENA website, join our Facebook Group, or simply click on a “Like” button on our Facebook page. Please spread the word, let us know if you have questions / economic, public health of environmental concerns / interesting facts or photos, if you would like to add someone to the mailing list or to opt out of receiving SVENA updates.
SVENA (Skykomish Valley Environmental & Economic Alliance)