Dear Sky Valley Residents,
We hope you and your family will have a happy and safe 4th of July holiday!
SVENA stands for Skykomish Valley Environmental & Economic Alliance. Our mission is to protect an environmentally and economically sustainable future of the Skykomish River Valley. We are working towards a safer, cleaner, healthier, more beautiful and economically sustainable place to live, work and visit. You can find more information at our website svena.org.
SVENA does not affiliate with any political party but supports candidates who have similar goals and vision.
- Non-motorized trails at Reiter Foothills and a schedule for planning and design;
- Reiter Foothills Public Forum next meeting is July 25 at 7 pm;
- Toxic herbicide ground and aerial spraying for Sky Valley, summer 2018;
- Greenergy Inc. Organic Vinegar Based Garden and Farm Products
- “Public invited to share input on hiking, mountain biking and horseback riding in Reiter Foothills Forest”, DNR News Release 6-11-2018
PLANNING AND DESIGN SCHEDULE, NON-MOTORIZED TRAILS AT REITER FOOTHILLS:
> Public Meeting #1: June 20, 2018, 5:45 – 7:45 PM – Snohomish Library (over 60 people attended, the meeting room was standing room only)
> Up to two field dates: Dates TBD between June 27 and August 8. The field trips are to scout proposed trail alignments. The field trips will include hiking outside of the established trails and may be strenuous.
> Public Meeting #2: August 15, 2018, 5:45 – 7:45 PM – Snohomish Library
> Up to two field dates: Dates TBD between August 22 and October 10
> Public Meeting #3: October 17, 2018, Time TBD – Location TBD
> Final draft planned to be adopted by December 31, 2018
2. Reiter Foothills Public Forum next meeting is July 25 at 7 pm in Everett. It is important for the non-motorized users to attend these meetings. Not only does your time count towards helping get grants but by attending you will be able to speak up for what you want grant money spent for. For the past 8 years these meetings have been exclusively aimed at the ATV enthusiasts. It is time to start focusing also on non-motorized recreation. For more information please contact Ben Hale Benjamin.Hale@dnr.wa.gov or 360-854-8451.
3. Herbicide ground spraying 2018 on public lands by DNR (Department of Natural Resources): Summary of DNR Silviculture Contracts, DNR Ground Herbicide Contract 1724 and Maps, July 16 – September 14, 1998 ac total for Northwest Region, 214 ac for Sky Valley. For exact dates, please contact DNR. Some of ingredients include Glyphosate, Imazapyr, Tryclopir, Sulphometuron Methyl, Metsulphuron Methyl.
More toxic herbicide aerial spraying is coming to Sky and Stilli Valleys. New spray FPAs (Forest Practice Applications) are by Weyerhaeuser in Sky Valley for 146 acres including 70 acres in the Gold Bar area, and in Stilli Valley for 443 acres. Some of ingredients include Atrazine, Clopyralid, Hexazinone, Indaziflam.
For more information please contact:
DNR Northwest Region 360-856-3500, email@example.com
Emily Conkin 360-424-2014, firstname.lastname@example.org
Wes Worden email@example.com
Travis Ridgway firstname.lastname@example.org
SVENA contacted DNR Northwest Region and requested that it works on reduction of toxic spraying in the Skykomish River Valley.
4. Greenergy Inc. Organic Vinegar Based Garden and Farm Products
We are providing this link as an alternative to buying toxic Roundup at a local hardware store. One can make their own vinegar solution at home using a large gallon bottle of vinegar from Costco, a cup of Epsom salt and some dishwashing liquid to be a surfactant. These products work best during periods of dry weather.
SVENA is working to bring a substantial value and benefit to the Skykomish Valley. Please support our efforts and visit SVENA website, become a sponsor or a member, join our Facebook Group, or simply click on a “Like” button at our Facebook page. Please spread the word, share this page with your family, friends and neighbors, let us know if you have questions / economic, public health or environmental concerns, interesting facts, photos, if you would like to add someone to the mailing list or to opt out of receiving SVENA updates.
SVENA (Skykomish Valley Environmental & Economic Alliance)