We would like to welcome new members to the group and appreciate their support. SVENA (Skykomish Valley Environmental & Economic Alliance) is a group of people who want Sky Valley to be safer, cleaner, healthier, more beautiful and economically sustainable place to live and to visit. At present, we are working towards better forest practices for logging, reduction of toxic chemical spraying and less pollution. The more members we have, the stronger our voice will be for lobbying the government/corporations and changing laws and regulations.
Please consider becoming a member and visit our page for membership. We believe that each person is unique and has many talents. This group has collective wisdom and a talent bank. If you would like to help, there are many things to choose from. You might find something that is close to your heart. You do not have to be a member to help.
- Toxic chemical spraying, that is connected to the tree farming industry here in the Valley, is dangerous for people and environment. It pollutes water and land. This is pretty serious staff.
Letter of protest from SVENA for massive toxic chemical spray in the Sultan Startup Rd. area was sent 12-29-2015.
Senator Kirk Pearson, who is the senator from our 39 Legislative District and the Chair of the Senate Natural Resources and Parks Committee, organized a work session on pesticides at the Committee on January 20, 2016. We hope something will come out of it.
Watch video of the work session on pesticides in the Senate Committee.
If there was recent toxic spraying in your watershed, I highly recommend carbon filters for well drinking water. DNR does not monitor pesticide pollution of water after spraying. For now, we requested at the Senate work session written notifications to all residents in the watershed before spraying, more monitoring and research. Please see Chemical Spraying page for a complete list of requests.
- As you might have noticed, clearcut logging has increased in its speed and scale over the past several years. We hope to discuss logging practices in the future with the Senate Natural Resources and Parks Committee.
Please visit the latest list of timber sales from the FPA (Forest Practice Application) Review System. The newest FPAs are 2814990 and 2814986 with DNR (Department of Natural Resources) as the owner. Check the list for locations of clearcut logging to see if it is next to your home, not far from it or it will be in your view.
It is important to send comments to firstname.lastname@example.org during 14 days of review process. Please see Resources for additional recipients: press, city/county/state elected officials. Even short comments can be helpful towards stopping unlimited and concentrated clearcut logging in the Valley which is famous for tourism and recreation. Our government needs to hear our voices in order to know that something wrong is going on. If there is no voice, it thinks that everything is fine and it is doing a great job. We believe the State should have better standards for logging practices.
SVENA supports full funding of public education by promoting tourism and rec industry in the Valley and thus bringing more revenue to the State tax coffins. We do not have to cut trees for our children’s education. Our children need healthy forests in the Valley. Check money facts for Singletary Timber Sale that is right next to Wallace Falls State Park at the logging page .
- Interesting read about damming in Sky Valley and SnohPUD, land and mud slides and water quality. We have nice photos in Pollution. We also support Tourism and Recreation Industry and have T/R page.
- SVENA is now on Facebook. Please visit our page, like it, join our group and spread the word 🙂 Updates and any new info will be posted at the Facebook pages and the website.
- We will be glad if you send us your high quality photos of the worst logging and pollution in the Valley. Land and mud slides are also welcome. We will post the best photos at our website. If possible, please submit information about the location of the photo and the date it was taken. We might have a photo contest if we get sufficient response for this request.
Please let me know if you would like to opt out from receiving SVENA updates. I will remove you from the mailing list.
Inessa Pearce (with eco-dog Rocky)