Dear Sky Valley Residents,
SVENA stands for Skykomish Valley Environmental & Economic Alliance. Our mission is to protect an environmentally and economically sustainable future of the Skykomish
River Valley. We are working towards a safer, cleaner, healthier, more beautiful
and economically sustainable place to live, work and visit. You can find more information at our website svena.org.
SVENA does not affiliate with any political party but supports candidates who have similar goals and vision.
- Educational open public meetings with CELDF (Community Environmental Legal Defense Fund, https://celdf.org/) are set for Feb. 27, 28 and March 1 “Banning toxic pesticide spraying on industrial tree plantations by means of community rights”
- Wallace Falls State Park (WFSP) and Reiter Foothills long-term planning, next public meeting is March 21 and more info
- Fun reads
- The latest FPAs (Forest Practice Applications) for Skykomish River Valley
- SCCR (Snohomish County Community Rights) and CELDF (Community Environmental Legal Defense Fund will host three educational open public meetings in February/March 2018 “Banning toxic pesticide spraying on industrial tree plantations by means of community rights”:
- Tuesday, February 27, 6-7:45 pm
Monroe Library Meeting Room (1070 Village Way, Monroe, WA 98272)
- Wednesday, February 28, 6-7:45 pm
Marysville Library Large Meeting Room (6120 Grove St, Marysville, WA 98270)
- Thursday, March 1, 6-8:45 pm
Lynnwood Library Large Meeting Room (19200 44th Ave W, Lynnwood, WA 98036)
Last year, a group of concerned Snohomish County citizens formed Snohomish County Community Rights (SCCR, https://www.facebook.com/sccr2017/). They investigated and researched about massive toxic pesticide spraying on local industrial tree plantations in the Skykomish River Valley and created “Summary Information for Toxic Pesticide Spraying and Community Rights”. Link to this document is also available at SCCR Facebook page. This group is working with Community Environmental Legal Defense Fund (CELDF, https://celdf.org/) on a plan for the future county initiative banning toxic pesticide spraying on industrial tree plantations and contamination of our watershed.
Two organizations in Oregon are in the process of passing/retaining county ordinances against toxic pesticide spraying on industrial tree plantations: Lincoln County Community Rights (LCCR, http://www. lincolncountycommunityrights. org/) and Community Rights Lane County (CRLC, https:// communityrightslanecounty.org/ ). Several communities in Washington State (and hundreds of them nationally and internationally) are working with CELDF to solve their environmental, economic and social problems.
If toxic spraying in your watershed concerns you, please spread the word, mark your calendar and come to one of the meetings to learn more. Thanks!
- On November 15, 2017, Sultan held an open public meeting with representatives of Washington State Parks Department for long term planning of Wallace Falls State Park (WFSP). Many local residents and stakeholders attended this productive meeting and gave their input. The planning process will take one year with three more public meetings in the future, one of them on March 21, 6 pm at the Sultan City Hall (319 Main St, Sultan). SVENA will post exact dates and locations at its website and Facebook page for the future meetings as they become available.
WFSP is famous, popular and overcrowded. Last year it had 225,000 hikers. The Park is an economic engine of the Skykomish Valley, with every single local business benefiting directly or indirectly from the visitors.
If you would like to get more information and updates about the long term planning of WFSP, please contact Randy Kline, Park Planner and Project Lead at email@example.com. More info
- Fun reads:
> “Whitewash: The Story of a Weed Killer, Cancer, and the Corruption of Science” by Carey Gillam, Island Press 2017
“Reads like a mystery novel as Gillam skillfully uncovers Monsanto’s secretive strategies.”—Erin Brockovich
> “EU starts in-depth probe of Bayer, Monsanto $66 billion deal”, Reuters 8-2017
> Bayer info at Wikipedia: Bayer, Bayer (then a part of IG Farben) and World War II
- It takes only a couple of minutes to check the latest FPAs for Sky Valley (Forest Practice Applications) and more info about FPAs. We encourage that you look out for your neighborhood and watershed in terms of logging, toxic chemical spraying and trash that can affect your health and safety as well as those of your family. The value of your property and business depend on your vigilance. More info is in three simple steps for becoming an FPA reviewer.
If you are concerned, you can also call the timber companies, government agencies and elected officials (https://www.usa.gov/elected-officials), ask questions and express your worries. Write letters to the editor of your local newspaper, contact TV and radio, tell your neighbors and community about the proposed spray, share information on social media, etc. Please be proactive and creative, but also respectful and non-confrontational. Call timber companies and ask to be notified between 3 days to 2 weeks in advance about future dates of pesticide spraying (including aerially and ground-applied herbicides, insecticides, fungicides, and/or fertilizers). Not many people know that toxic aerial spraying happens in Sky Valley but would be concerned if they knew. Most importantly, keep yourself and your family safe. Contact info, What to do before, during and after toxic aerial spraying, More info.
SVENA is working to bring a substantial value and benefit to the Skykomish Valley.
Please support our efforts and visit SVENA website, become a sponsor or a member, join our Facebook Group, or simply click on a “Like” button at our Facebook page. Please spread the word, share this page with your family, friends and neighbors, let us know if you have questions / economic, public health or environmental concerns, interesting facts, photos, if you would like to add someone to the mailing list or to opt out of receiving SVENA updates.
SVENA (Skykomish Valley Environmental & Economic Alliance)