Dear Sky Valley Residents,
HAPPY, HEALTHY AND PROSPEROUS NEW YEAR TO YOU AND YOUR FAMILIES!
SVENA stands for Skykomish Valley Environmental & Economic Alliance. Our mission is to protect an environmentally and economically sustainable future of the Skykomish River Valley. We are working towards a safer, cleaner, healthier, more beautiful and economically sustainable place to live, work and visit. You can find more information at our website svena.org.
SVENA does not affiliate with any political party but supports candidates who have similar goals and vision.
- Skykomish River, its watershed as a source of drinking water and their protection
- Wallace Falls State Park (WFSP) and Reiter Foothills long-term planning, public meetings and more info
- Historic treasures for toxic spraying of 1981
- The latest FPAs (Forest Practice Applications) for Skykomish River Valley
1. Skykomish River Valley has many public and private water sources. Washington State laws prohibit toxic contamination of watersheds with public and private water sources.
Health of the Sky River and its watershed is health of our community. They should be protected by us, community members, from toxic contamination and destruction. No one else will do this for us or for our children.
RCW 70.54.010 “Polluting Water Supply – Penalty”:
“Every person who shall deposit or suffer to be deposited in any spring, well, stream, river or lake, the water of which is or may be used for drinking purposes, or on any property owned, leased or otherwise controlled by any municipal corporation, corporation or person as a watershed or drainage basin for a public or private water system, any matter or thing whatever, dangerous or deleterious to health, or any matter or thing which may or could pollute the waters of such spring, well, stream, river, lake or water system, shall be guilty of a gross misdemeanor.”
Timber corporations and DNR clearly break Washington State laws every time they spray on tree plantations in our Valley’s watershed such toxic substances as 2,4-D, Glyphosate, Imazapyr, Triclopyr, Atrazine and many more poisons.
SVENA is working with the Community Environmental Legal Defense Fund (CELDF) to protect our watershed and drinking water sources from toxic contamination. For more information and to get involved, please visit website of CELDF and/or send us an email to email@example.com .
One example of work by CELDF: https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/how-a-small-town-is-standing-up-to-fracking-w482577#
2. On November 15, 2017, Sultan held an open public meeting with reps of WA State Parks Department for long term planning of Wallace Falls State Park (WFSP). Many local residents and stakeholders attended this productive meeting and gave their input. The planning process will take one year with three more public meetings in the future, one of them in February 2018. SVENA will include exact dates and locations for the future meetings as they become available.
WFSP is famous, popular and overcrowded. Last year it had 225,000 hikers. The Park is an economic engine of the Skykomish Valley, with every single local business benefiting directly or indirectly from the visitors.
If you would like to get more information and updates about the long term planning of WFSP, please contact Randy Kline, Park Planner and Project Lead at firstname.lastname@example.org. More info
4. It takes only a couple of minutes to check the latest FPAs for Sky Valley (Forest Practice Applications) and more info for FPAs. We encourage that you look out for your neighborhood and watershed in terms of logging, toxic chemical spraying and trash that can affect your health and safety as well as those of your family. The value of your property and business depend on your vigilance. More info is in three simple steps for becoming an FPA reviewer.
If you are concerned, you can also call the timber companies, government agencies and elected officials (https://www.usa.gov/elected-officials), ask questions and express your worries. Write letters to the editor of your local newspaper, contact TV and radio, tell your neighbors and community about the proposed spray, share information on social media, etc. Please be proactive and creative, but also respectful and non-confrontational. Call timber and ask to be notified between 3 days to 2 weeks in advance about future dates of pesticide spraying (including aerially and ground-applied herbicides, insecticides, fungicides, and/or fertilizers). Not many people know that toxic aerial spraying happens in Sky Valley but would be concerned if they knew. Most importantly, keep yourself and your family safe. Contact info, What to do before, during and after toxic aerial spraying, More info.
SVENA is working to bring a substantial value and benefit to the Skykomish Valley. Please support our efforts and visit SVENA website, become a sponsor or a member, join our Facebook Group, or simply click on a “Like” button at our Facebook page. Please spread the word, share this page with your family, friends and neighbors, let us know if you have questions / economic, public health or environmental concerns, interesting facts, photos, if you would like to add someone to the mailing list or to opt out of receiving SVENA updates.
SVENA (Skykomish Valley Environmental & Economic Alliance)