Dear Sky Valley Residents,
SVENA stands for Skykomish Valley Environmental & Economic Alliance. Our mission is to protect an environmentally and economically sustainable future of the Skykomish River Valley. We are working towards a safer, cleaner, healthier, more beautiful and economically sustainable place to live, work and visit. You can find more information at our website svena.org.
SVENA does not affiliate with any political party but supports candidates who have similar goals and vision.
- Interesting Reads and Facts: total amount of pesticides used every single year in the U.S. and worldwide; natural breakdown chart for 2,4-D; pesticides in food; drinking water purification by reverse osmosis (RO)
- Toxic spraying 2018: ground spraying by DNR, and aerial spraying by Weyerhaeuser
- Alternatives to toxic chemicals for yard and lawn
- Reiter Foothills Public Forum next meeting is June 27, 7 pm; Reiter Foothills Non-motorized Planning first meeting is in June; Wallace Falls State Park CAMP/Long-term Planning next meeting is in June
- The latest FPAs (Forest Practice Applications) for Skykomish River Valley
1. Interesting Reads and Facts:
“Weedkiller products more toxic than their active ingredient, tests show”, The Guardian 5-8-2018
“Over 1 billion pounds of pesticides are used in the United States (US) each year and approximately 5.6 billion pounds are used worldwide.” US EPA – Pesticides Industry Sales and Usage 2008 – 2012, page 9.
Children and pregnant women are most vulnerable to pesticides. Global Ob-Gyn Group Urges Greater Efforts to Prevent Toxic Chemical Exposure, 10-2015
Pesticides can accumulate and persist in soil and water for many years after application and can be found in food: “Emails Show FDA Chemists Have Been Quietly Finding Glyphosate in Food”, Modern Farmer 5-2018
The way pesticides breakdown in nature is very complex, often hard to predict with numerous resulting products of breakdown. A link below leads to a chart that shows breakdown processes in nature for only a single toxic active ingredient 2,4-D. Reactions between all ingredients in the mixtures are not known.
2,4-D Breakdown Processes in Nature, Biocatalysis/Biodegradation Database, Eawag (Swiss Federal Institute of Aquatic Science and Technology).
Water Quality and Quantity, at svena.org. Latest research shows that reverse osmosis (RO) is the best water-filtration method for pharmaceuticals, pesticides and other contamination. An undersink RO system costs $150-350. It can save you thousands of dollars in medical bills and improve your quality of life. In areas served by the City of Gold Bar, the RO would also remove the arsenic from the water.
- APEC Top Tier 5-Stage Ultra Safe Reverse Osmosis Drinking Water Filter System (ESSENCE ROES-50) $185 on Amazon. Free shipping. 4.5 out of 5 stars. 3500 reviews.
2. Herbicide ground spraying 2018 on public lands by DNR (Department of Natural Resources): Summary of DNR Silviculture Contracts, DNR Ground Herbicide Contract 1724 and Maps, July 16 – September 14, 1998 ac total for Northwest Region, 214 ac for Sky Valley. Some of ingredients include Glyphosate, Imazapyr, Tryclopir, Sulphometuron Methyl, Metsulphuron Methyl.
More toxic herbicide aerial spraying is coming to Sky and Stilli Valleys. New spray FPAs (Forest Practice Applications) are by Weyerhaeuser for spring 2018 in Sky Valley for 146 acres including 70 acres in the Gold Bar area, and in Stilli Valley for 443 acres. Some of ingredients include Atrazine, Clopyralid, Hexazinone, Indaziflam.
For more information please contact:
DNR Northwest Region 360-856-3500 email@example.com
Emily Conkin 360-424-2014, firstname.lastname@example.org
Wes Worden email@example.com
Travis Ridgway firstname.lastname@example.org
Contact List for Toxic Sprays and Contact List for Press and Elected
What to do before, during and after toxic aerial spraying
3. Toxic chemicals can impact people’s health, especially children and pregnant women. Pesticides can drift in air and water, contaminate private and public drinking water sources, and negatively affect non-targeted plants, animals, and people.
ALTERNATIVES TO TOXICS FOR YARD AND LAWN and FLYER PDF
5. It takes only a couple of minutes to check the latest FPAs for Sky Valley (Forest Practice Applications) and more information about FPAs. We encourage that you look out for your neighborhood and watershed in terms of logging, toxic chemical spraying and trash that can affect your health and safety as well as those of your family. The value of your property and business depend on your vigilance. More info is in three simple steps for becoming an FPA reviewer.
SVENA is working to bring a substantial value and benefit to the Skykomish Valley. Please support our efforts and visit SVENA website, become a sponsor or a member, join our Facebook Group, or simply click on a “Like” button at our Facebook page. Please spread the word, share this page with your family, friends and neighbors, let us know if you have questions / economic, public health or environmental concerns, interesting facts, photos, if you would like to add someone to the mailing list or to opt out of receiving SVENA updates.
SVENA (Skykomish Valley Environmental & Economic Alliance)